Thursday, October 07, 2004

The Eerily Prescient Peggy Noonan

In doing a bit of google research for my last post, I dug through some old Peggy Noonan columns and came up with some real gems. I'm sure this stuff has been posted somewhere by others, but I can't resist:

"I have been wondering which candidate would be most likely to lie to me. My impression of Mr. Bush is that he doesn't lie because if he did he'd feel so guilty and so insecure in his ability to pull it off that his face would redden and his eyes shift and he'd break out in sweat. But Mr. Gore seems to me capable of telling a lie, of spinning just about any fiction, and with utmost conviction, too."
September 1, 2000

"[Gore's] lying looks at this point not like a foible but a compulsion, a tendency that is ungovernable, like a tic... If Mr. Gore cannot help but lie about lullabies and grandma's medicine, will he lie about troop movements, and espionage, and what our intelligence is telling us about what Saddam is up to?" [emphasis added]
September 22, 2000

"This is Mr. Gore's problem: Lies are so built into everything he stands for, everything he says, everything he campaigns on--lies are so built into him, that he can barely tell the difference between the truth and a lie anymore. The difference doesn't even seem important. Winning the presidency is all that matters." [emphasis added]
October 27, 2000

You know, if you just switch the names, she's pretty spot on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home